Monday, January 14, 2013

Good News: I Remember How to Speak Italian

First day of school again...

I've had a lot of jet lag issues.  Yesterday I finally got to Perugia around 11 am. After eating something I decided to lay down because the apartment was freeezzzziiinnnggg. Next thing I know, I've slept for 5 hours. I only got up because I had to go to evening mass. After mass, I went to Sigrid's 20th birthday dinner. The restaurant we went to had some "Tex Mex" options, such as burritos, enchiladas and tacos. I had just said on our way to the restaurant that I would never get Mexican food in Italy. I resisted ordering them... and I'm glad I did. The enchiladas = fajitas in flour tortillas without any sauce. Burrito = soft taco. They made me sad. Fortunately, the girls who ordered them enjoyed them a lot.

So I've been in Perugia for over 24 hours and I still haven't gone grocery shopping. I'm an idiot. I keep putting it off because I'm tired. Also, to go to the store, I'll have to go up the stairs right outside my house. I. am. that. lazy. I also don't want people to see me dying on the steps. Hey, I didn't get to exercise at any point over break. I've got to get my stair muscles back for sure.

Since I have no food, I went to class without coffee or food. I had class from 9-2pm. It was kinda rough. Plus, I had to completely recollect how to speak Italian! Reimmersing yourself without caffeine = rough. But I pulled through! Huzzah!

My class is... funny? There's some smarmy men who think they are God's gift to our class. But they make me laugh because I can't understand them and they make mistakes when they read. I'm such a brat. They are cocky he-men so I get to giggle at them.

The other classmates seem cool. There's a good mix of nationalities. My favorite classmate so far is this older man from San Diego (of course, Sigrid, he's my favorite after you ;) ) . He's a professor/teacher of music theory, I think at a Methodist school, and is on sabbatical. His Italian is so good and he wants to only chit chat in Italian. It's great practice. He's staying in a Catholic monastery in Perugia so he could have a Christian community.  So we chatted about theology and such.

After class, I tried to unpack. Mistake. My new room is a third of the size of my old one and maybe a third of the storage. I tried to organize for over an hour... no such luck. I got upset so I took a break.

Aaaahhhh I kinda want to die. I'm so tired. But I truly cannot postpone shopping any longer.

But I discovered today I remembered a LOT of Italian and I can still speak. YES. I mean, SI!

No comments:

Post a Comment