Tuesday, January 29, 2013

From the Mixed Up Files of L. Scamperle, Hermit Esq.

It's Tuesday, about 1 pm. I've been in my apartment since Friday afternoon. I haven't lost my mind yet! I've also managed to sleep a huge amount despite minimal exercise. This morning I could barely wake up even though I was approaching Hour 11 of sleep.

I am greatly impressed/somewhat horrified. Are my homebody tendencies really this bad?! I can spend endless hours in bed and not go insane? Maybe it's the way I have fought off cabin fever with my activities.

Normally, I get stircrazy so easily. I think it's because I feel guilty for doing nothing when I am able to be doing things. However, I finally have an excuse to just lay in bed and watch tv for hours. I'm pretty darn relaxed.

"How To Not Go Insane In Confinement":
the accidental findings of L. Scamperle, Hermit Esq. 


1. Skype and talk to anyone! I really lucked out. I got to Skype with Dana, Anna AND Louise. Also, thank God for facebook chat and messages. I am so grateful to everyone who have been great correspondents, it's been essential to my sanity. I LOVE YOU ALL. 

2. Remember that life goes on... and you should maintain excellent hygiene. Cleanliness is next to Godliness. Or rather, you feel gross when you are gross. Simple. 

3. Give yourself tasks that you normally are too lazy to do. I tried to learn how to curl my hair with a flat iron. Fail. Ok, that's not completely true. I got 3 amazing curls... and then the rest looked like sad bent hair. I also did my nails! My graduation app got started. So. Much. Left. 

4. Find a TV show that lifts the spirit. I would like to thank The Big Bang Theory for keeping my disposition on the more cheerful side. Sheldon and Amy? I love you. 

5. Finally watch the movies people make fun of you for never seeing. On Day One of Confinement, I watched Super Troopers. My next movie is Shawshank Redemption... but I don't think they will have the same effect on me hahaha. 

6. Keep perspective and DON'T feel sorry for yourself. This is essential to not going insane. This week of confinement is a blink in my life, a tenth of a blink in eternity. Things have been less than ideal. I've had great opportunities to be upset... but I haven't been as emotional as I thought I would have been. 

7. Have awesome friends like Rachel and Sigrid who will bring you food. The worst part of this whole thing is feeling helpless and asking for help. Rachel has been a sweetie and brought me kebabs, haha! Sigrid brought me cookies, chips and chocolate milk. MMMmmm. I've eaten so many cookies already, Sigrid. THANK YOU. haha. No one else has come by, but if you plan on doing so and you are reading this, bring me junk to eat, haha. I will reward you someday with endless affection/alcohol. 

8. Sweatpants. Need I say more? 


Update on ankle: I haven't gone to the doctor yet. Wait! Hear my reasoning before you yell at me. Yesterday was Monday. I talked to Umbra and they said I would have to go to the ER. Yet yesterday it was raining so I didn't want to go. I knew I was going to get drenched and fall on my butt. Today is St. Costanzo, the patron of Perugia. There's a festival, no Italian school and most businesses are closed. Umbra suggested today would be a bad day to go to the ER because their staff would be limited. Alas, I am going tomorrow morning at 930 am. I have a lot of fears... for awhile there, I was excited to leave Italy but now I want to stay... argh. We shall see! I'm trying to stay positive and remember no matter what, nothing will change, only my knowledge of reality. I'm hoping to score a walking boot and no cast. Casts are the WORST! Showering with a cast is bad enough, but in an Italian shower? Kill me. 

Pray for me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment