Sunday, October 28, 2012

Fail Break

Most of the Americans went on Fall break this week. I went on Fail Break.

I struggled to go to class, I barely slept and I complained a lot. I also went out most nights. All these activities = cranky Louisa.

Now that I have slept more, life has improved immensely! Just in time for everyone to come back to town :) I was supposed to go to Pisa yesterday... but I overslept. I think it was a better decision to stay here anyway. I would have been a terrible monster had I not slept.

Chocolate fest's last day is today. I will get my city center back! I admit, I benefited from the food products available. Yesterday I had churros with nutella drizzled on top. Oh my goodness. Unfortunately, they desperately lacked cinnamon. I was so excited to have something that reminded me in some distant way to Southwestern Mexican food that I was quite overjoyed regardless. Whew. they were sooo sweet though. I couldn't handle it.

I'm trying to not eat ham, cheese and bread at every meal so I'm forcing myself to be more creative with vegetables. Normally, I sauté zucchini and whatever vegetables I have in olive oil and garlic. Sometimes when they are done, I crack a few eggs on top and have a little omelet. Yet there was an "incident" that scarred me a little bit. So I have this thing about shrimp. I LOVE fresh shrimp. But I am terribly picky about seafood, especially frozen seafood. Especially the tiny kind. I barf a little bit just thinking about it. So in our protein deprived country, Suzanne found frozen mini shrimp and was thrilled. I turned a little green but hey, as long as I don't eat it, no harm done.

So... one night, after Suzanne has made shrimp... I am making my vegetable and egg combo... I used very clean looking pan and spoon.. but suddenly my food starts to smell shrimpy. Suzanne cleans dishes excellently so I thought it was my overactive imagination. Nope. My first bite of eggs... fishy... my third bite of eggs... MORE fishy. Then I threw it all away. Fail.

So today, my cooking solution is baking zucchini, peppers, garlic and olive oil in the my oven for a nice little roast! Hopefully, it'll turn out well. Suzanne and I have been learning how to cook via experiment. So far, so good.


1 comment: