Monday, October 1, 2012

The Birthday Bambina!

On the eve of my 22nd birthday, I was wondering about being in Italy. Perche? Why? What? Hum. Ho. Hee.

My birthday was wonderful.  Earlier this summer I worried: will my birthday suck and will I struggle to eat a whole cake in the dark in a moody music montage as I watched Glee reruns?

Answer: Nope! Instead I went to class. I showed up over an hour late. My teacher said, "How are you, Louisa?!" And I, with a big smile, announced that it was my birthday. Every time a teacher would ask me how old I was, they would throw their hands and eyes up and say "Oh, UNA BAMBINA!" To my professors and majority of classmates, I was a spring chicken. It was nice considering everyone in Umbra was teasing me I was an old lady haha.

Then the craziest thing happened to me, evvvverrr.  My friends and I were going to the cafeteria when my friend Abdu came up. Abdu works at Lunabar, this popular student bar which has themes every night. He's casually putting up posters when I realize MY FACE is on them.  Apparently, me and two other people had their birthday so he put all of our faces on the poster. He joked about doing it awhile ago but he did it! My face was pasted on public walls and printed on flyers that were all over Perugia.

WHEN DOES THIS EVER HAPPEN? I laughed so hard. So my birthday "party" was at Lunabar... in writing.

I skipped half of my afternoon shitty lesson and I went home to clean pots as I sang at the top of my voice with joy. It was my birthday! Those ridiculous flyers were hilarious! I had a new curling iron! I had dinner plans!

That evening, I sat at a table of five new friends from all different places. We drank wine, ate a bunch of food and had great conversation. I found five awesome people to share my birthday dinner with. Despite almost exploding, we went to get gelato after dinner. Then we went to Dempsey's and Lunabar where everyone bought me tequila (shots) and danced like crazy people.  We met up with a bunch of other great people at the bars and club.  They were so kind and generous to me! I don't remember laughing so much in such a long time.  As I started to fall asleep standing on the dance floor... I realized it was time to go home!

I'm pretty sure I fell asleep with a smile on my face. Maybe I'll stay after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment