Wednesday, November 28, 2012

The Manna of My Life Comes for a Visit... And My Italian Thanksgiving!

I forgot to write about when Anna the Manna came to town!

We planned on meeting in Rome's main train station. I was super nervous I would never find her. She doesn't have a cell phone and doesn't know Italian.  To be honest, traveling in Rome without Italian is pretty easy but hey, I am a nervous nelly. I acknowledge it. Obviously, it worked out because Anna is oh so intelligent. She even got there early! It was so cute because I walked in the cafe we had planned to meet at and there she was, drinking a cappuccino and reading Anna Karenina in German.

We went to St. Peter's because she had never been. I tried to get to English confession... but a lady was parked in the confessional for a REALLY long time. I assume she was a bit off because a woman came and took her away from the confessional after a good 20 minutes. Then a girl cut me in line by accident... So after sitting there, meditating on what an awful person I was with deep guilt, for maybe 20-30 minutes, suddenly the priest turns off the light and gets ready to roll. "Father, are you finished?" "Yes, I'll be back at 2:30. Peace out!"

Dammit. Back to square one. So I felt pretty lousy and poor Anna had to deal with Louisa, the spiritually downtrodden. Hahaha. After some picture taking, we headed back to the station...

...where we RAN for our departing train... and then we arrived at our connection station... didn't realize we didn't have to actually get off the train like our ticket said... and then watched our train leave without us.

After figuring out we had to wait about an hour for our next train, we did what any normal people would do: we bought 3 cappuccinos and a bunch of food. We were so tired we didn't realize the soccer game we were watching was actually a rugby game. Haaaa.

When we finally arrived in Perugia, Anna was impressed with the city. I was SO PROUD to show her where I've been living with these past months. I love Perugia and I loved that her first impression was how pretty it was. Then we got home and my wifey Suzanne had an amazing feast for us.

SUZANNE, I LOVE YOU. NEVER LEAVE ME.

Saturday night we went out dancing with my friends. The next morning we slept in and then went to my beautiful church for Mass. Then we got dinner and a beer with my friends Connor, Kim, Sigrid and Suzanne. Monday we went to Firenze and met up with Irene Dana. It was so pretty... but I got us lost for like 30-40 minutes... fortunately, Irene and Anna didn't care/barely noticed. I felt like an idiot. Firenze is the city I perpetually get lost in.

Anna and I went to Santa Croce. Holy smokes. It was worth the 6 euros. There was so much to look at and come on, we all know we are both obsessed with Room with View...

So I went on and on about how Anna needed to try some good Italian food... and then we walked by the American diner in Firenze. I broke down and begged. They gave in. I ATE A REAL BURGER AND IT WAS AWESOME. Mmmm. It even had avocado.

In retrospect, I've had so many better burgers. But I was SO HAPPY to be eating a burger that it was worth it. We ended up sitting there for hours talking. Irene had so many stories from her travels with Phil, Andrew and Annie. It sounded fun but exhausting...

I'm such an old lady. When I travel, 70% of the time I'm thinking about how much I wish I was back in Perugia in my bed. Even though my bed is cripplingly unsupportive.

Anna stayed a few more days. She went to Assisi while I was in class. We ate a lot of chocolate and ice cream while she was here but took walks which I've now taken a liking to very much. It was so lovely to have her here and I was sad to see her go!

She left on Thanksgiving which stunk. But fortunately, my friends and I were invited to a big Thanksgiving dinner which was a blast. Suzanne and I brought a bunch of food and we got to eat fresh turkey and pumpkin pie. Good Ol' 'Murica.

Did I tell you I met the turkeys I ate? The guys who had the party went to a farm and bought four live turkeys. Anna and I met them. Hilarious. They butchered them the day before thanksgiving (I'm dying) and then cooked them at the restaurant where they work the day of... So funny. What a Thanksgiving to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment