Saturday, September 1, 2012

First afternoon in Perugia... my calves are getting a mighty workout.

Last night after my lonnnnggg flight, I got on a bus for three hours with my program mates. I sat next to this girl Effie whose family also came from Northern Italy so we hit it off. Very grateful for that because the bus ride was 3 hours long. Needless to say, we complain about how tired we were for most of it haha.

We arrived at Hotel Gio in Perugia, just outside the city where everyone crashed for the night before moving into our apartments in town. Checked in felt like hours.... buttttt then I went up to my room and met my new roommate Suzanne. She is great! I'm very lucky to have her. She fell asleep while we were talking with the lights on, she was so tired. That night, the program served us dinner... we were all zombies trying to be social haha. After dinner, some people went out to explore Perugia. Suzanne and I went to bed. Zzzzz...

Today we were driven to our new apartment! From the program, Megan and Suzanne are both from the US and living with me.  We are further then most people in Umbra from our school but hey, with the Italian delicacies, this just means we will gain less weight... hopefully... Our poor taxi driver got lost twice and barely squeezed into the alley to take us to our piazza. There we met our landlord Francesco who was so friendly and chill. He immediately made us all comfortable, he even carried our heavy suitcases up 3 flights of stairs. What a champ. He even teased me and started calling me Jolanda.  That may just be my new nickname...

Our apartment is great. We are sharing it with two/three other people. All our bedrooms have locks with keys. We have two bathrooms with two showers! Heavenly. We have a washing machine, a stove, a dishwasher, a microwave... AND WI-FI. Unfortunately it doesn't work well in the bedrooms. But hey dining room table isn't so bad. My roommates are also considering getting their own internet keys so that they can Skype in private.  Our apartment seems super random but I somehow love it already.

Ah... right now I'm so tired. I still haven't found a phone card or anything. I also don't care either. I'm oddly feeling at home. Of course, I have already had some awkward exchanges. Effie and I went to get gelato yesterday and I accidentally ordered a huge cup like a big fatass. But hey, I didn't eat breakfast or lunch that day. So I like to think that my subconscious knew I needed the calories to live. I don't know how I'm managing on eating so little without dying. Probably the jet lag. So tired all the time!

I went to the grocery store. Teeny tinny. BUT I fortunately read my school's guide book and I managed to figure out how to buy produce correctly. You don't touch it with your hands ever. They have free plastic gloves that you use to put it in a bag and then you weigh it, enter on the computer screen what produce you are weighing and the machine prints a sticker that you slap on your bag. È facile.

I managed to sign up for the trip next weekend that my program is organizing. Sorrento, Naples and Pompeii. AAAAH :D

Time to go! I have to meet up with my group for my tour of Perugia. So tired. Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment