Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Part 1: The Longest/Supah Dupah Crappiest Half Week of My Life

Yesterday in the evening, someone asked me what time I took my placement test. I couldn't remember. I am even scratching my head now trying to remember. Here is the unbelievable blur that the last 48 hours has been...


Monday... the day that never ended. I woke up at 3:30 am and waited on Facebook in my sad dark little kitchen for someone to get on Facebook. It wasn't my day... Louise came on and I almost cried with joy. She told me she met someone I should marry... but he lived in Phoenix. Why does that always happen? I am in freakin Italy and my potential true love lives probably 30 minutes from my old house? Classico. I told Louise he'd probably be engaged by the time I got home. The good ones/the ones you unrealistically plan to wed don't stay single for long! We've all been there. Don't lie to yourself and try to make fun of me behind my back.

Then I tried to fall back asleep, despite the bad news Louise told me (hahaha), and all of a sudden, my shut window BANGS OPEN from the wind and wakes up my roommate. So I had some company! Misery (me) loves company. Then I took a freezing cold shower (screw you, formerly beloved Francesco. No, you don't just have to wait 30 seconds. You may only have to wait 30 seconds for me to attack you, however. I wonder if I'm kidding...I'll get to that later.) Oh, did I mention that the fridge didn't work? So all my fresh food was ruined? Yeah... I had pistachios I bought at the store. Never, never buy pistachios at an Italian store. So once I managed to not vomit, we went to Università per Stranieri (University for Foreigners for those of you who don't want to use Google Translate) for our placement tests.

Fortunately, I was bright and bushy tailed for our test since I woke up at 3:30 am. Oh, I kid. After a really difficult written test, I did the oral. Crash and burn. I should be in B2 because of my classes at ASU and Berlitz but my listening comprehension is too poor to be in it, hence I am in B1. Alllllorrraa, I have an opportunity to move up a level in a month if I study a lot and prepare for the test.

That afternoon we walked for hours. I can barely remember what happened between the test and our tour of the university. I guess we didn't eat lunch? Non mi ricordo. Considering I'm in fatass heaven, I am surprised by how little I've eaten. Just been to busy or tired to make a trip/awkwardly order in a restaurant. The tour was over an hour and a half and everyone was dead by the end. Then we had ANOTHER meeting at 5:30 at Umbra to discuss our program. It was informative but everyone was falling asleep.

ALSO, my "Chinese" roommate, as my landlord likes to call him, moved out of my apartment. It was the only time I saw him. I would be lying if I said I was sad to see him go. So then Francesco informs me that we will have another dude replace him in two weeks (me: ARGH. NO MORE MEN PLEASE).

So after the tour de Hell and the meeting of forever-like length, I sat at home completely relaxed. No more men. Sitting my pajamas. Drinking a beer.

My front door opens... it's a strange man in his 40s who I've never seen before. Oh, it's only my new roommate Jorge. Didn't Francesco the landlord tell me? Nope. Well hello there... So I go put more clothes on and let my roommate who was in the shower know that there was a strange older man in our apartment so she wouldn't come out in a towel.

Oh gosh. This is so awkward.

TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment